David Koyzis has been a Global Scholar since 2019. He is an academic political scientist with a PhD in Government and International Studies from the University of Notre Dame, where he wrote a dissertation comparing the political thought of Herman Dooyeweerd and Yves R. Simon. David taught political science at Redeemer University College for thirty years, mentoring hundreds of young people who have gone on to contribute to public life in Canada and elsewhere. In recent years he has broadened his academic ministry through contacts in Brazil, Pakistan, Ukraine, Indonesia, Germany, Finland, and elsewhere.
David is the author of two books:
The award-winning Political Visions and Illusions, published in 2003 and, in a revised second edition, in 2019, with a foreword by Richard Mouw.
In 2014 it was translated into Portuguese and published as Visões e Ilusões Políticas in Brazil, where it has been widely read and appreciated.
In 2014 David published a second book, We Answer to Another: Authority, Office, and the Image of God.
SELECTED ONLINE PUBLICATIONS & INTERVIEWS
- Dr. David Koyzis: What you Believe About Politics Matters, Wesley Seminary Podcast, June 2020. Interview with Dr Aaron Perry.
- Clash of Idols, Mere Orthodoxy (2020)
- Authority: There’s No Getting Away from It (Nor Would We Want to), Kuyperian Commentary (2020)
- Kuyper’s Flawed Example: Sphere Sovereignty on the Personal Front, Kuyperian Commentary (2020)
- Canada Divided Against Itself, First Things (2019)
- Canada’s State Religion, First Things (2019)
- Visions and Illusions in Political Life: Guidance for Voters, The Banner (October 2019)
- Populism in Christian Perspective, The Bible Society (2017)
- Living Communally in God’s Good Creation: Rod Dreher and Benedict’s Way, First Things (2017)
- The Evolving American Constitution: Change without Amendment, First Things (2017)
- It Hasn’t Happened Here (Yet): The Obstacles to a Christian Democratic Party in the United States, Perspectives on Political Science Volume 46, 2017 – Issue 1 (December 2016)
- The Tempering of Democracy: How Recovering the Classical Mixed Constitution Could Affect the Way We Vote, First Things (2016)
How Socialism Suppresses Society (with Portuguese subtitles)
How Libertarianism Suppresses Liberty
The Public Square and Everything In It
Political Visions and Illusions
Teaching political philosophy at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, October 2019
Koyzis speaking on Christianity and Political Life, Indonesian Reformed Evangelical Church Trinity, Toronto, November 2019
Koyzis discussing translation of his article into Ukrainian with editor in Kiev
Koyzis addressing online gathering at end of week-long webinar in Brazil on his Political Visions and Illusions, May 2020