Our aim and desire is to assist academically and spiritually qualified professors to find suitable positions in universities around the world, and to support them as part of a community of like-minded academics who have accepted a special calling. To this end, we hope the application and appointment process is something you will find both informative and helpful.
An Overview of the Application and Appointment Process:
- Fill out the Preliminary Application and submit to GSC. (Download the Word document by clicking on Preliminary Application.)
- We will review your application for overall fit with the vision and values of GSC. Then you (and your spouse, if you are married) will be invited to a brief interview (in person, by telephone, or by Skype) with the GSC Executive Director. If there is apparent compatibility, we will invite you to complete the full Candidate Application.
- The full candidate application requires a significant investment of time and energy. It requires careful, transparent and prayerful responses. Thoroughness is crucial, as this application serves as our best initial means of determining where the best fit for you might be with GSC/Global Scholars. If married, your spouse will also be required to answer some of the questions on the full application, as we consider a GSC assignment a partnership and we need to have input from both of you.
- Your application will be reviewed, along with your C.V., references, student evaluations of courses you have taught, and, if possible, a sample teaching video. Once we have reviewed and approved your application, we will work together in scheduling an interview with you and, where applicable, with your spouse, in a suitable location. The interview committee usually includes several board members, the GSC Executive Director, a Global Scholars representative, and often a university faculty member in your discipline.
- After your interview the interview committee will make a recommendation to the GSC Board of Directors. You will be notified of their decision as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience as the full process may take several months.
- Once officially appointed, we will pray regularly for you and work with you to:
- Secure an appointment at a secular university overseas, aiding in preparing materials to be culturally relevant, coaching you in the application and interview process, etc.
- Work with you to develop and approve your GSC budget and assist you to identify prayer and financial partners to supplement the salary offered by the university (if additional income is necessary).
- Provide training in teaching overseas through the Global Scholars Appointee Orientation Conference, held in July of each year.
- Develop an academic development and spiritual development plan in order to help you flourish during your overseas assignment.
- As you go, we will pray regularly for you. GSC and Global Scholars cooperate to provide you with pastoral care, encouragement, North American support and academic development opportunities.
If and when God leads you back to your home country GSC/Global Scholars will work with you on “re-entry” issues (logistical, spiritual and cultural), and help you transition to your new role.