Contact Us for more info if you are not already a part of the GSC office and would like to attend the retreat, or visit on the guest speaker evening, or drop in to meet us.
Toronto 2019 – Global Scholars North American Retreat – July 25th – 28th at Tyndale University College & Seminary
Please join us for a international gathering of Global Scholars Professors, Administrative Staff, Board Members, and Local Supporters in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Enjoy a time of fellowship with the GS community, excursion options in Toronto, and speakers and updates from around the world.
Hosted by Global Scholars Canada on the historic grounds of Tyndale University College & Seminary.
What to Anticipate…
- Warm hospitality upon your arrival at Tyndale. We may have shuttle opportunities available to and from Tyndale – more details to follow.
- Reunions with familiar members of the Global Scholars community, and introductions to new members.
- Updates and stories from campuses around the world.
- Opportunities for Saturday excursions in Toronto – options include a baseball game, CN Tower & Ripley’s Aquarium, Royal Ontario Museum, a Double Decker Multilingual Bus Tour, or an outing of your own choosing.
The retreat theme is Exegeting the Global Church: Many Tribes, One Spirit as this flows with our Saturday evening speaker and our interpretations of the experiences of God’s work in our various fields.
Our guest speaker on Saturday evening is Reverend Dr. Esther Acolatse, Associate Professor of Pastoral Theology at Knox College in Toronto.
Dr. Acolatse’s talk is entitled The Spirit World in Africa and the West: Contextual Theology for the Global Church and will discuss topics from her latest book, Powers, Principalities, and the Spirit: Biblical Realism in Africa and the West.
We will hear responses from Dr. Susan Robbins, Associate Professor of Humanities and Philosphy at Klaipeda University in Lithuania and Dr. Obert Hodzi from University of Helsinki. Dr. Peter Schuurman, Executive Director of Global Scholars Canada (Guelph, Ontario) will moderate a conversation with the audience.
A general, tentative schedule for the July retreat is as follows – a final schedule will be available, along with more retreat details.
Thursday – Arrive at Tyndale, Reunion Dinner, Founders & Directors Address, Free Time
Friday – Morning Worship & Devotions, Global Scholars USA Address, Introduction to Society of Christian Scholars, Fellows Updates, Evening Free Time
Saturday – Morning Worship & Devotions, Free Time & Excursion Options in Toronto, Evening Guest Speaker
Note: Lunch on Saturday will be a boxed lunch to take out “on the town” or enjoy at the Tyndale campus. Dinner on Saturday is not included in the retreat cost – dining suggestions include the Tyndale cafeteria, venturing out to a local restaurant, or enjoying dinner on the road as you participate in an excursion.
Sunday – Morning Worship & Devotions, Conference Closing
Tyndale offers students residences for your accommodation. These include twin beds (may be bunkbeds in double occupancy rooms) and some shared hygiene facilities. Each room is unique, and we’ll do our best to match you up with a space that suits your needs.
Alternate Accommodation Suggestions:
- Liberty Suites – an 8 minute drive from Tyndale – around CAD $145/night
- Courtyard Toronto Northeast/Markham – an 11 minute drive from Tyndale – also around CAD $145/night
- Seneca College – a 10 minute drive from Tyndale – student residences at around CAD $120/night for a double room suite
Questions or Concerns?
Email email@example.com and we’ll do our best to answer.