Rudy & Marlene have served with Global Scholars Canada in Nigeria since 2004, and Rudy taught about 4,300 students during his tenure there. Most of his classes were taught at the Federal College of Education in Pankshin, Jos Plateau, and a few classes were taught at the Nigeria Bible Translation Trust in Jos. Marlene worked alongside Rudy in the administration of the classes. Rudy also published 3 volumes of Essentials of Christian Religious Studies in Colleges of Education. Both Rudy and Marlene mentored students during their time in Nigeria, and continue this connection even today, as they have transitioned to part-time service with GSC back home in Canada. Read their latest newsletters here.
TEACHING WITH GLOBAL SCHOLARS CANADA – Nigeria & Canada
- FEDERAL COLLEGE OF EDUCATION (FCE), Pankshin, Nigeria
- Introduction to Greek and Hebrew Grammar
- Prophets of Israel: Amos, Hosea, Micah, Zechariah, Isaiah
- Paul & His Writings: Galatians, Romans, 1 & 2 Corinthians
- Introduction to Christian Ethics
- Christian Doctrine
2. NIGERIA BIBLE TRANSLATION TRUST, Jos, Nigeria
- NT Greek, alternating modules with Dr. Robert Lillo of GS-US
B.A. Ed. NT Greek using the Preus Greek Grammar revised by Lillo and Wiebe. 49 students in the class, including 29 men (posing with Rudy).
B.A. Ed. NT Greek class also included 20 women (posing with Marlene).
3. TORONTO BAPTIST SEMINARY, Toronto, Canada
- Greek Grammar, Syntax and Reading
Preus, Mary Catherine Let’s Study New Testament Greek (Revised by R. A. Lillo and R. H. Wiebe) Bukuru: ACTS 2011.
Rudy on the left and Rob Lillo on the right are pictured with nine Nigerian Bible translators to whom they taught NT Greek. After field testing Let’s Study New Testament Greek by Mary Catherine Preus, a new edition was published in 2011 by Africa Christian TextbookS (ACTS). The nine Bible translators are translating into their eight mother tongue languages.
Wiebe, R. H. (Senior Editor) et al. Essentials of Christian Religious Studies in Colleges of Education (Volumes One, Two, Three). Bukuru: ACTS 2012-2014.
Rudy is pictured with the 15 member Christian Religious Studies staff who authored the 3 volume set of Essentials of Christian Religious Studies plus 10 expats (not pictured) most of whom have taught in Nigeria.
Wiebe, Marlene E., G. D. Hosea, & A. D. Lillo The Phonics READING Adventure in Seven Levels: Introductory Volume, Teachers’ Manuals, Student Workbooks, Teaching Charts, Companion Readers. Bukuru: ACTS 2014-2016. (Rudy worked with Marlene on the TPRA curriculum with proofreading and editorial assistance.)
SPECIAL MOMENTS IN GSC MINISTRY
RUDY – Mentoring
Three students stand out for Rudy, among the many he taught through the years at FCE Pankshin. These men attended his first classes, and Rudy has mentored them ever since. Polycarp went on to earn his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in theological studies, became a teacher himself, and now serves as pastoral staff at a local church. Amos went on to earn his Bachelor’s degree and teach Christian studies at a local school. Rudy remembers Amos becoming a christian through an essay he wrote in Rudy’s class. Philip went on to earn his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in theological studies. He wrote to Rudy, “May the Lord bless you for impacting my life and teaching me the right part to follow in life. Thank you very much Sir.”
MARLENE – Literacy & Education
Marlene was an integral part of launching the TPRA initiative, overseeing its completion, and presenting it to the Nigerian education system. She mentored and worked alongside Hosea on the TPRA project. TPRA now has a shop and office space which was dedicated in November 2019. In February 2020 Hosea received a certificate of incorporation for a new NGO titled Center for Literacy Development in Africa. Hosea continues to train teachers on how to use the TPRA curriculum, and to enhance their literacy skills. Click here to learn about Hosea’s latest launch of a new literacy initiative The Adventure Reading Ambassadors.
The Phonics READING Adventure (TPRA) curriculum. The three authors are left to right: Marlene Wiebe, Hosea Danjuma, Adrienne Lillo.
About 60,000 TPRA resources were printed for distribution, and more than half have been distributed to date. 50 private schools in Nigeria are using the Teachers’ Manuals, student Workbooks, Teaching Charts and Companion Readers as part of their curriculum.
- Marlene conducted Bible, Reading and Library clubs for years from her home on the Faculty compound of FCE Pankshin. Seeing the need to greatly improve the reading skills of the faculty children she was teaching, she teamed up with Hosea to do research and writing of the (TPRA) curriculum.
- Beautiful Gate Handicapped People Center (BGHPC) – The Wiebes helped to form a partnership between BGHPC and World Renew. This enabled them to raise funds in North America that helped in the building of three-wheeled trikes for polio victims and other disabled persons. They organized seven annual wheelchair presentations at FCE Pankshin. Each recipient also received a Bible.
- Faith Based Aids Awareness workshops conducted by Prof Danny McCain (Global Scholars USA founder) both at our college and in other parts of Nigeria.
– Jos, Nigeria in 2005.
The Wiebes have 3 daughters and 4 grandchildren.
Rudy earned a B.Sc. from University of Windsor, an M.Div. from Toronto Baptist Seminary, and an M.A. from University of Toronto.